The Uniquely Finnish handicraft and art and design products are produced in small and/or medium-sized Finnish handicraft and art and design companies. The products are: wool and sheep products and knitwear; textiles and accessories as well as wood, metal, glass and ceramics products.
The degree of domestic origin of the product is at least 80 per cent of the cost of the product (including work and materials). The products are manufactured by highly skilled professionals and accepted by a panel of experts. The panel of handicraft experts emphasises the following aspects:
- the practicality, the quality of the design and the craftsmanship of the product/ product family
- the functionality, the degree of domestic origin and the use of natural materials in terms of the material
- esthetical, successfully designed, original or traditional design
- the product should preferably be an every day product either produced as a handicraft or as a small quantity production
- the name of the manufacturer is identifiable on the product
- the product and the product information comply with the directives
- the product and the packing are ethically and ecologically sound
- the history and the tradition of the product create added value
The entrepreneurs constantly maintain their own and their employees' expertise to meet the needs of their customers in terms of the quality of the products and the processes.
The companies carefully follow the laws, proper business etiquette and procedures as well as moral/ethical principles (being just, honest and treating animals properly). The companies also follow the normative guidelines of the standard of sustainable development (attending to the environment, respecting the nature and conserving the landscape quality and features).
The Uniquely Finnish companies have a functional quality management system based on ISO9001:2000 standards or/and quality award criteria. When it comes to foodstuff companies their quality system must include a food safety management system approved by the authorities. The quality management system is assessed while granting the right to use the trade mark and at least every three years there after. The auditing is carried out against the Uniquely Finnish rules and ISO9001:2000 standards or
quality award criteria and it is done by a qualified estimator.
For these reasons we can claim that the nationally-known The Uniquely Finnish label is a guarantee of quality for consumers and business.